Well about 3 days ago I woke up with this strange pain in my ankle, by the following day I had the exact same pain, on the same leg, behind my knee. At first I chalked it up to nothing but then realized it was very sore to the touch ad a little swollen in both places. My OB is not in the office this week so I called the on call OB (who happened AGAIN to be the one I originally fired...I can't get away from this man!) because a little voice in my head told me to play google dr. I did and I found my symptoms were similar to those of a blood clot. Since I know I have a blood clotting disorder, I became concerned. I pulled up my lab work that states the exact disorder I have. Under the diagnosis from the lab it said a bunch of scary words like "high risk for pregnancy thrombosis" and "likelihood of miscarriage and fetal demise". Well as you can imagine that last statement prompted me to make the call even if I had to talk to dumb dr I don't care for. I explained my situation to him and he advises that I take an extra baby aspirin (I take one everyday to help thin my blood) and to place heat and massage it. He said if it didn't get better or got worse to call back in the morning and he would arrange for a doppler study to rule out DVT (blood clot). I come to find out after I speak to him from my VERY wise on line friends that "massaging" an area where there might be a blood clot is bad advice, as it could dislodge the clot and make it travel to your vital organs. Great. See why I don't like this Dr? Well here's another reason. I call the office yesterday morning because the pain has intensified and I'm told by the receptionist, "Oh well Dr. G isn't here today". A-hole! I felt like he just said "call me tomorrow" to get me off the phone. So then I ask the receptionist then to relay my story to the Dr who is in (another OB whom I don't know very well). She says she will and that she'll call me back. She calls back and says that OB says to "just go to the ER because it will take too long to get an authorization for a doppler study". I was sooooo frustrated! I understand that the likelihood of it being a blood clot was not "likely" but come on, I have test results right in front of me saying I have this disorder and a pain in my leg. I was on injectable blood thinners for the first 14 weeks of this pg and remain on aspirin everyday because of clotting issues.....call me crazy but isn't that at least worth taking a little more proactive approach? I get off the phone and wrack my brain. Ah ha! I forgot I have a perinatologist! I call him, Mr. Rough hands. And I thought I was done with him and his rough ways, but you gotta do what you gotta do right? He says he'd like to see me right away. Finally, someone who doesn't think I'm a hypochondriac. So I go in which equates to waiting in his office for 3 hours before I actually see him, but whatever. I would have waited a million hours if it meant assuring the baby would be ok. I explain to him the problem and show him my lab results. He says with cases like these he likes to be sure and not guess. I liked that response. So he wants me admitted to the hospital for a doppler study. In the meantime he checks out the baby who is weighing a piggy 7 lbs 6 oz and who has the cord wrapped around his neck AGAIN!!! Aghhh! I hate that! The peri says as long as it isn't tight we're ok and that from what he can see, it isn't tight around his neck. he also tells me that the baby is "big" (I told him it would be how many weeks ago???) and that he will advise my OB that I can not go past 40 weeks or the baby will be too big for regular delivery. Anyway, I go over to the hospital and have the study done. Good news is that it's not a blood clot! Whew. I needed to know that. So we have no clue what this strange pain is in my leg. I've pulled muscles before, have had leg cramps, I know I didn't injure it, so it isn't any of those things. It's probably just my abnormal body doing it's thing again.
Peri wants to see me back on Tuesday for a f/u on the cord, size, and pain issues. I also see MY OB that day as well thank God! I will tell her she is not allowed to ever leave me again :). I never thought I'd say this but I pray I don't go into labor until she gets back (Monday) because if I have to have dumb or dumber deliver me I will be sooo pissed!
12 years ago
3 comments:
I was going to say the same thing about massaging the a clot being a bad idea. Hmmm, you'd think docs would know these things...? I'm glad to hear it wasn't serious!
So relieved, for both of you, to know it wasn't a clot! Praise God!
I AM secretly hoping that Zech gains a few more ounces so that he has to be coaxed to come out this week! But arriving on his own IS better, so that's ok with me too. :)
oh my god! looks like you've been busy. so glad you were cleared for dvt. you kow thats what dick chaney has... i'm just saying :) so glad to hear the good the news...
Post a Comment