Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thankful....

So I hear, and often times preach (to clients), that sometimes... in the midst of hard times, having an attitude of gratefulness can be helpful. Research has actually shown cultivating gratitude significantly increases a person's experience of happiness. This is not to say we should minimize our own painful experiences and not mourn losses or have hurts, because that would just create an attitude of denial and un-authenticity, but what is important is to not get stuck in it... and this is something I continually have to work at. And so with this in mind...despite all my complaints, woes, stress, and emotions wrapped up in a ton of stuff I can not control, I will work on that I can control, my attitude.

I am thankful for our health. Most specifically my husband's health. This is the first year in our 7 year relationship we have not had a major set back in his health. I am thankful for the Dr's we have met along the way who have joined with us in finding the reasons and most beneficial treatment to help manage his pain and side effects from the various conditions he has/had. I list "health" as the first blessing I count because when you live it you see it is true that if you do not have your health it is hard to have anything else. Thank you God for your healing.

I am thankful for my marriage....a marriage that has endured more then it's fair share of "stuff" but who's trials have actually resulted in making us closer and more in love today then ever before.

I am thankful for our son. Our beautiful, perfect, funny, loving, sweet, amazing little boy we have been blessed with. 3 years, 4 miscarriages, 5 surgeries, countless tests and medications, 6 months of acupuncture, 9 months of vomiting, 3 months of bed rest, 18 hours of labor....and I would do it all again if I had to just to have him.



I am thankful for my husband who remains steadfast and strong...who remains loving, forgiving and kind hearted, even when people don't deserve it from him. He is the most inspirational man I know. I am so lucky to call him mine.

I am thankful to have a family of my own. There is no where in the world I would rather be then with these two guys. They make my world complete...as cliche as it may sound it is true for me that as long as we have each other, we have everything we need.

I am thankful for our dogs, Baxter (aka Doggie) and Bridgit (aka Gia). Both came into our lives at 2 separate points when we were discouraged and spiritually broken, fed our need to nurture and love "someone" when WE needed it most. Now they continue to bless our lives by being a GREAT big fur bro and fur sis to our human child.

I am thankful for my parents and sister, who help take care of my son when Nathanael and I can't. It is sooo comforting to know he is safe when we can't be with him.

I am thankful for my friends....my genuine, reliable, loyal friends. I have learned the true definition of a "fair weathered" friend this year in particular, which makes my appreciation for those friends, new and old alike, who love me and are there for me throughout ALL the seasons of my life, all the more profound.

I am thankful for my career. I love what I do and feel I am good at it. I have been blessed with the gift to help others with my knowledge and guidance, along with the abundance of contracts and private clients that have been readily available for me. My career allows for me to adjust my hours in such a way that a typical 9-5 never would and this is helpful in keeping Zechariah out of daycare and always in an environment with people who love him.

I am thankful for where we live. I have friends with children of similar age in the neighborhood so a play date is almost always an option! Our surroundings are safe, and beautiful with the backdrop of white mountaintops in the winter and a sparkling pool just a few feet away in the summer. When we consider a move to make Nathanael's commute shorter we are always lured back to continuing to make our little suburban life here work because it fits our lifestyle and desires for where we want to raise our family.

I am thankful for the new church we have started going to. Since the "incident", as I will graciously refer to it in this blog post in an effort to not taint what I am trying to accomplish here :), we have been understandably gun shy and a bit reserved in going into our next church experience. Though I do have to say since the "incident" we have only missed 1 week of church attendance because we made it a purposeful decision to not allow one bad seed to spoil our whole apple, so to speak. We churched shopped and came upon where we are going now...and so far so good...obviously it's early in our time there but it feels right to be there in this moment and for that I am grateful. Because it would have been real easy not to return to an organized religion experience EVER again after what we went through. So I thank God for opening this door and also for placing the conviction in our heart not to completely turn away from "church".

True gratefulness has to come from a conscious decision to recognize your blessings, as well as the emotional feelings that accompany a thankful heart. So when counting your blessings, sit and allow yourself to feel each one, allow each and every blessing to resonate within you...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

p.s. I feel better already just having written that! Those psych people sure know what they're talkin' bout! ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I am thankful for you!! And Cameron is very thankful to have a friend like Zech! Your positive attitude is an inspiration to all those around you as well :) Btw- Cameron saw the picture at the top of Z as a baby and he said- baby Zech!

Rina said...

Aww thank you so much Ashley! You are most definitly one of the friends I appreciate and love the most! No matter what you have always been there. I love Cameron and Blake and it overjoys me that our children get to grow up together. That is soo cute Cameron knew that pic was a baby Zech! He is so smart!!

Anonymous said...

Ok, well I now realize I made my child sound smarter than he is, Lol! He first saw the pic of Z sitting on the counter with his T'giving outfit on and I said- see that's Zech, we played at his house today. And he was waving at the picture saying- Hi Zech! And then right after that he saw the baby Zech picture. So I guess I did prompt him :)