Ok so I've talked a lot of s%$t over the years about overly conscious people...granola...tree huggers, you know who you/they are :)...but am I becoming one? Happily I'd like to think so...at least a little. So I will eat my words. Because sometimes I do that...even I can be wrong on occasion (gasp! :). There is no denying, something is going on in our planet with the ozone, the polar bears dying, the cancer rates increasing, etc... and as of late, it's concerning me. Having a child will do that to you I suppose. You start to think about the world they will grow up in. The one YOU are suppose to protect them from, without stifling, of course. It's a fine line. Well one of my biggest concerns from the moment Zech fell asleep for the first time outside my womb was SIDS. In the hospital room, after being cut open, there I was trying to get out of bed, sucking up the pain, just so I could reach the baby's bassinet and poke him. Because I couldn't tell if he was breathing or not!!! The thought of SIDS is so scary...and there's no explanation, we as parents are told... it's enough to drive you mad. I feel like I now have a little light on the subject. So I want to share with you. You see, recently, a woman I know told me that she is convinced that chemicals in mattresses, bedding, and baby's sleep clothes are the culprit to SIDS. I found the concept interesting. So what did I do? I googled it of course!!!... and I found this VERY telling article. If you have a baby or are about to have one, you might find this good info to know.
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/bedding.asp?a=1&r=1&e=1&q=sids+crib+mattress
I didn't write about this to scare anyone. I just happen to believe it's best to make informed decisions in life. Especially when it comes to your/our children. So why is this concept not well known might you wonder??? Well according to my "sources" (an occupational therapist who went to a conference on the matter) the AMA doesn't want to support this notion and throw out all of THEIR research to adapt a new idea. Sounds silly, I mean who would continue to put babies lives at risk if there was a link between these chemicals and SIDS????? Well please remember we live in a world where solar power and electric cars are easy enough to make yet we keep on drilling that oil don't we????
FYI Babies R US does sell organic bedding, mattress covers and sleep wear. Zech has some but after reading this, I'm going to drop a small fortune investing in more ASAP!
Nope it's not organic sleepwear in the photographs but I have to include a few pics in every post so you keep coming back for more...I need an audiance when I'm on my soapbox :)!

2 comments:
Thanks for the info!!!!!
And can I just say...those pictures are adorable. I can almost laugh out loud because they make me smile so big!!!
i'm going to eat zech!
Post a Comment