Saturday, October 27, 2007

"He had to put 2 in"

So I had the cerclage done yesterday. I can't believe I actually survived w/o eating for almost 24 hours! So from the beginning I get there and nurses were all VERY nice but since I was in San Gabriel (you LA residents will know what I'm talking about here) it took a little charades and a few "I'm sorry" "pardon me" to fully communicate throughly :) But it was ok, they were sweethearts. And got IV's in on the first try! So the anesthisologist comes to talk to me. Spends a lot of time going over my history and when we're done says "wow you have a lot of medical issues" No shit shirlock, glad he went to school for 10+ years to figure that out. JK. But anyway he goes on to tell me that because I have a blood clotting disorder that he does not recommend using the spinal anesthesia. He stated that when you are numbed from the waist down like that, that blood can accumulate in the spine causing a hematoma which will make you paralzyed from the waist down. Greeeaaaat. So he said he recommended I just be put to sleep. I have some anxiety over being put to sleep because I've always had really bad experiences waking up and being overly anxious and throwing up like crazy. So I tell him this and he says "tough shit"....ok not really he didn't say those exact words but he might as well have because he told me that I am just one of those lucky ones who have a bad reaction to anesthesia and that if zofran doesn't work nothing will. He let me keep my zofran pump on throughout the surgery and I asked him if he could give me more zofran if I was still sick. He said "good question" but then never really answered me. Before he leaves he says, "Oh I have never seen Dr. Karimi on time for a surgery". Greeeaaat again. So there we sit. Me all anxious because I am scared to be put to sleep and N trying to entertain me with impressions of the nursing staff speaking to the janitorial staff (again if you're from this area you know what I'm referring to...and I swear we're not racist! just good humored about living in the diverse world that is southern CA!)

So the Dr shows up around 4...only an hour late. Which on dr's time really isn't too bad right? They take me to the surgery room where I get scolded for leaving my bra on. What? They weren't doing surgery on my boobs for goodness sake! So they made me take it off. They give me the med to put me to sleep and it seems like it's taking a long time. Right as I was about to tell the dr it wasn't working....bam. Must have fallen asleep because I woke up in the recovery room. LOL. I'm always trying to "play" dr and tell them what to do. In recovery I find I am in quite a bit of pain. Kinda like really BAD menstrual cramps. I tell the nurse and she gives me some pain med that makes me so high but doesn't really touch the pain too much. I am so proud of myself for not vomiting yet. Spoke too soon. The nurse brings me dinner. I can't eat much more then the jello on the tray. But not really because then I proceeded to throw up the jello for what seemed like a really long time. Who knew 3 bites of jello could equate to 15 minutes of vomiting? So after that was done and they listened to the baby's heartbeat a few times (HB was around 135) and then released me to go home around 9:30 pm.

When we're going home N tells me, "Oh the dr said to remind him when it's time to take out the cerclage that he had to put 2 in"

WTH????

So I have no clue why that happened or what that means since N didn't think of asking. I have to wait till Tuesday when I see the dr to find out why my special olympics body needed 2 cercalges.

Before surgery we did get to see the baby again. I'm 14 weeks today. He/she was kicking again and we could see the aorta, the spine and the face pretty clearly. Baby looks like it was dressed as skeletor for halloween :)

Well just got yelled at for not technically "laying down" right now so I'm signing off. Thanks for all your support during this time. HUGS!!!!

5 comments:

soozq97 said...

Well I'm glad its over and you are home resting. Hugs and many prayers for you!!

I'm glad you got to see yolkie again! I can't wait to see his new costume! :)

ondria said...

You're a trooper Nors!

Dre said...

thank god for this update cuz i've been thinking of you all day.

thank god also for n.

so glad its over... rest and take care for yourself and yolkie.
big love, dre

Lori said...

I just read your update. So glad it's over and now you can relax. Many prayers continue for you and your baby. :)

J.J. said...

so glad you are ok! been thinking of you! REST and take it easy! don't do anything!