Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Whew...having a baby is a lot of work!

So I started going through all the shower gifts, washing the baby's clothes, towels, blankets, etc. I began at 3 pm...it's 9:30 and I've barely made a dent! And I'm exhausted! Hopefully this project will be done before the baby actually gets here. We got so many beautiful things so it's exciting to go through it all at the same time. On Sunday while we were at my parents we picked up the stroller/car seat combo. I now have a car seat in my car! It's so weird to drive around and see it back there! Last night Nathanael put together the stroller so that's now sitting in our kitchen. Seriously I think I'm living someone else's life right now. I wanted this for so long. Can it really only be 4 weeks away (and maybe sooner!!!)??? As of tomorrow I am exactly 1 month from my due date! I can't believe it.

The contractions have continued if I'm not on the med so I'm taking it pretty religiously. My body is actually adjusting to being on crack. Who knew? Kinda like alcohol tolerance I guess, the more you take it the less side effects you get. I am afraid of something I read however. Supposedly when terbutaline and like drugs are taken to ward off early labor your body actually begins to be tricked into not going into labor at all. So you go off the med and nothing happens. Then induction is the only option. I know I was talking about induction just a few posts ago but I was referring to it only if I was 40 weeks and nothing was going on naturally. I'd rather not make my body need the stuff you know what I mean? Reason being is I hear pitocin makes your contractions worse...and since I now have a clearer picture of what contractions are and have experienced them pretty regularly, let's just say I don't need them any stronger then they have to be that's for sure!!! Oh and that whole going natural for delivery thing...ummm I'm wavering a bit on that too. Because really those contractions aren't easy. And I know they'll only get worse. I'm not completely giving in just yet...maybe getting "cold feet". We will see.

For those of you who haven't had children yet, I have to warn you that contractions are like nothing you've ever felt before. There is no comparable pain or likeness to something. It's a VERY weird sensation and you just want it to stop when it happens. Ugh... i am not looking forward to labor. But then again I am. I swear this pregnancy stuff is the biggest oxymoron you'll ever experience. At least for me it is. I want this baby more then anything but at the same time I want this pregnancy to end more then anything!!! *sigh* If only the stork story were true...

Speaking of "stork stories"...my sister and BIL always tell their youngest that they got him at Wal-Mart. That's there very evasive way of avoiding the "where do babies come from" discussion. So the other day it came up and my nephew says "I don't believe that story anymore". My sister asks why not and he says "because when we go to Wal-Mart I don't see any babies there". His older brother chimes in "That's because they're in the back". LOL!

Tomorrow I'm going to work on the gifts some more and also tackle the nursery. I will post pics of it as soon as it's done! For now, good night!

4 comments:

Stine said...

Wal-Mart?! I think I'd at least tell the kid he came from a store that was a little more high end - I'd even be happy with Target!

soozq97 said...

Wow...you have been working hard! I wish I was on break this week so I could be there helping you! I love that kind of stuff!!!

LOL on Wal-mart!! Poor kid, he's going to grow up, get married, and when his wife goes to Wal-Mart, he's going to expect a baby when she gets back!!!

ondria said...

Ha ha, I love the Wal-mart story. BTW, I think that you'll be able to do labor with no drugs, no problem! And if not, oh well... who's judging?? :)

Dre said...

i got a little teary when you said you felt like you were living someone else's life with the baby coming so soon and evidence of that all around you. i'm so happy for you guys. finally!

as far as drugs- just do your best and remember, there is no award for going it without drugs. seriously. either way, you're gonna rock!