Monday, January 7, 2008

You call that a massage???

Ok so I have a new obsession aka fear...ripping/tearing during childbirth. To be more specific (in case you don't quite get what I'm trying to say here) ripping from the va jay jay hole to the ummm butt hole...yes it does happen for those of you who have not yet enjoyed the glory of pg and childbirth. I'm sorry to break this to you. I know, I too felt betrayed like I'd been lied to my whole life thinking that babies came out of there because they actually fit out of there. And for those of you who have educated me with the stories of what a bowel movement is like after such ripping...well thanks for enlightening me. No seriously, I need to know this stuff. Real friends tell you this kind of truth (right A.?)...the not so pretty, make you cringe, but you have to know or you will be unpleasantly surprised, cold, hard truth.

So I have begun looking into a practice I have heard about called the "perineal massage". It's suppose to prevent such tearing and/or the need for an episiotomy. Ok so just from the name alone, one would figure you would just "massage the area" right? Wrong! Of course that's wrong, nothing can actually be that easy/pleasant when it comes to pg/and labor. I asked for this book for Christmas, and I got it. It's called The Birth Book. It's actually way too granola'ed out for my liking, but it's my only frame of reference at this point. So I look up the massage in there just to make sure it is what I think it is. Imagine my horror when the book instructs me to "insert your thumbs as deeply as you can inside your vagina and spread your legs. Press the perineal area down toward the rectum and towards the sides. Gently continue to stretch this opening until you feel a slight burning or tingling." Then comes the warning: " Being too vigorous could cause bruising or swelling in these sensitive tissues."

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm ok call me crazy but this does not sound like my idea of a massage. Mind you these "sensitive tissues" are even more so for me being that I've been on pelvic rest(ie no nooky, no penetration, no foreplay, zero, zilch, no nada) this ENTIRE pg!!!

Now I'm even more scared.

Do I endure such torturous massage techniques now or just pray I was blessed with a very stretchy va jay jay that might actually endure the circumference of a human head coming through.

Decisions, decisions....

On a lighter note:

Just for Andreita:



And my 24 week pic (oink oink!!) taken with the new camera:
24 week tummy

Compare that to my 15 week pic my sister just gave me over the weekend that she took:
Photobucket

My how I've grown in a 2 1/2 month period! Making up for lost time, I tell ya. I had a feeling this would happen.

7 comments:

soozq97 said...

What are you talking about "oink oink?"!!!! You are beautiful! I love your belly! Zech is so handsome and you look wonderful :)
As for the "massage," I'll email you my thoughts!! LOL!

Astrid said...

OMG! You crack me up girl! Glad I don't have to deal w/ that. BTW, you look gorgeous!

Tiarnna said...

Hey, that is awesome you are looking into the massage.....don't do it to the point of pain. Just press down, and side to side. Once a day would be good, and get some good oils to 'assist' . I hear warm almond is great. That is also a good recommendation for the birth its self. Trust me, your OB will be doing TONS of this massaging during crowning, may as well get the area used to it now eh? ;) Then maybe he won't have to do it so much.

Dre said...

Wow! That is certainly an interesting massage technique. At least you aren't asking for my help! lol! You look so beatuiful! I can't wait to see you and rub your belly! xoxo dre

ondria said...

OMG, you look sooo cute! BTW, your... ummm, extremely descriptive post had me in tears I was laughing so hard!

J.J. said...

you are cracking me up! your belly is growing! yay! email me cause everytime i try to email you it comes back to me!

Anonymous said...

OMG! You look so cute! When do I get to see you in person again? :( We need to pick a night to get together!