Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Opinions are like..........

.........well you can finish that statement I'm sure :). Nothing like getting a lot of unsolicited advice is there? Well guess what? Multiply what you used to get before you had a baby by say....ohhhh...I don't know...A MILLION, because once you have a child it seems everyone thinks it's fair game. I know they say it takes a village but really, people actually can be down right rude! Here are just a few of my "favorites":

(let me preface this by saying that when I use the term "you" in my upcoming rant I am not meaning "you" as in my readers but the "you" referring to the big bullies who target first time mothers ;)

1. "What? Your kid doesn't sleep through the night? All of my kids slept through the night at 6 weeks."

Commentary in my head that I don't state out loud because unlike you I have manners: "Riiiight and you think sharing that info with me is going to make me feel better? Oh wait, no you're saying it to make yourself feel better. It's called overcompensating because you obviously have insecurity issues!" GRRR!

2. "He's STILL not talking???"

Commentary in my head that I don't state out loud because unlike you I have manners: "No, he's 18 months...as in 1 year old...as in, only been on the planet for approximately 550 days... but no worries as soon as he does learn to speak I will be sure to teach him some choice words to call you.

3. "He sure is skinny"

Commentary in my head that I don't state out loud because unlike you I have manners:
"You're probably not used to seeing a thinner child since yours is fat."

4. "Don't cut his hair like that anymore"

Yes someone really told me that.

Commentary in my head that I don't state out loud because unlike you I have manners: "Sure, as soon as YOU stop cutting yours like that Buckwheat."

5. "Isn't he too big for that pacifier?"

Commentary in my head that I don't state out loud because unlike you I have manners:
"Hmmm maybe kinda like how you are too big for those jeans?"

6. and my favorite as of late..."You're NOT getting him the H1N1 shot? What's wrong with you?"

Commentary in my head that I don't state out loud because unlike you I have manners:
"Well what's wrong with me is that I am guilty of being a well read, well educated mother who makes sound decisions based off of my family's individual needs, medical history and risk factors. Sorry to disappoint but I don't make flippant decisions regarding my child's health. THANKYOUVERYMUCH!"

I bet you all know what prompted this post! If I hear one more person's unsolicited advice on this vaccination or that the show 60 Minutes said it was safe I might punch them in the face. I can't say I'm always right but I can say I probably have done more research then say you have Walgreens employee. :) And since I put it out there, if you'd like to comment on the topic, feel free, I promise not to hit :). Oh and honestly I don't think that not vaccinating is the right choice for everyone, it's just the one that's right for us right now based on a lot of well thought out factos we have going on...but I know I am actually preaching mostly to the choir here because you all know our story.


Ok so was that a venting post or what? Shout out to all the mommies who hear me...because I know you do!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, this one made me laugh out loud!! Don't you just love it when strangers think it's ok to tell you things like this?? I have gotten the skinny baby comment many times. I want to say- yes we are shocked that he is skinny seeing how both his parents are morbidly obese and all. When Cameron was 9 months, I started getting- he's not walking yet? from a lot of people. Um no, did you hear me just say he is only 9 MONTHS?? What kind of superbabies are these people hanging out with that they think all babies should walk at 9 months?! So far I haven't gotten any flack from anyone about not getting the h1n1 shot but I'm sure it's coming!! I enjoyed this post, thank you for reminding me I'm not the only mom who gets these stupid comments too!! :)

momofgirls said...

This is so funny and I totally agree! I HATE unsolicited mommy advice, especially from people who know nothing about you or your situation! A good friend of mine once told me "YOU are the only mother of _______; therefore by default you ALWAYS know best!!" I have held on to that during frustrating moments of judgment, especially when in my heart of hearts I know that no matter what, I'm the one with my children's best interest at heart - not anyone else!! Kuddos to you for not letting all those rude people with no manners sway you!

ondria said...

Oh wow! I can't beleive people actually said these things to you! The things I have to look forward to...!

soozq97 said...

LOL! Totally true! I think it starts when you're pregnant. People feel the need to comment on your body/weight as if it isn't your own.