I heard the stories of what it's like to serve our country. I heard about the men who didn't make it home. I heard about the wars fought that were never televised on channel 4. I heard about the nights without sleep...the days without food. The times he wondered if this was "it". I heard about the accident...the one that led to the tumor in his chest just 6 months later. I heard about the 11 rounds of chemotherapy...the drive from CA to Texas for the transplant, the dr's who told his mom to prepare to drive home... alone.
I saw him come back to life. I saw him struggle with his spirituality and mourn the loss of his military career. I saw him fight for his health. I saw him try and reinvent himself for a future he felt was uncertain. I've seen him wonder if this cough, this pain, or this unknown symptom was "it" all over again.... I see him continue to struggle with the remnants of a drug that killed the cancer but killed his immune system and health in other ways on a daily basis and yet...
Yet I hear him praise this country, love this land, and proclaim his faith..
God.
Family.
Country.
Never have I known someone to serve so gracefully. It is a pleasure. It is a lesson. I am lucky to know someone like you, let alone be married to you.
Thank you.
I love you.
Zechariah will be so proud to know what you have given up for us all to live in this free country.
6 comments:
That was beautifully written Norina.
That is so awesome Norina. Going to get Gene now so he can read it too. :) Lucky us to have real live heros under our same roof.
That was beautiful Norina! He is so handsome in his uniform also.
Amen, Norina, amen. God Bless you Nathanael!!! Thank you for all your dedication and service to this great country, and thank you to all our wonderful vets who have sacrificed so much as well.
What an awesome post! You are both so lucky to have each other. :)
I am so proud of my grandson, his service and his beautiful wife and son. Ted
Post a Comment